Ben & Jerry Case Study Essay
Group Project: Ben and Jerry’s (A): Team Development Intervention
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES
ST. AUGUSTINE, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, WEST INDIES
FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT STUDIES
MGMT 3022 – ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
COURSE CODE: Mgmt. 3022
COURSE TITLE: Organizational Development
SEMESTER & YEAR: 2: 2011/2012
COURSE LECTURER: Mr. Roland Baptiste …show more content…
The term Intervention refers to a set of sequenced, planned actions or events intended to help an organization to increase its effectiveness. Interventions purposely disrupt the status quo; they are deliberate attempts to change an organization or sub-unit toward a different and more effective state.
Criteria for Effective Interventions in OD require three major criteria which define the effectiveness of an intervention:
1. The Extent to which it (the Intervention) fits the needs of the organization.
2. The degree to which it is based on causal knowledge of intended outcomes.
3. The extent to which the OD intervention transfers change-management competence to organization members.
Factors That Impact the Success of OD Interventions
Factors relating to Change Situation: These relate to the environment of the organization and include the physical and human environment.
1. Readiness for Change: Intervention success depends heavily on the organization being ready for planned change
2. Capability to Change: Managing planned change requires particular knowledge and skills including the ability to motivate change, to lead change, to develop political support, to manage transition, and to sustain momentum. 3. Cultural Context: The national culture within which an organization is embedded can exert a powerful influence on members’ reactions to change, and so intervention